Abel Covarrubias, MA, is the Founder and CEO of Aprendamos Intervention Team, an organization providing early intervention services in Doña Ana County, New Mexico, and a Board Member of ZERO TO THREE.
Contributions to the Field
Abel Covarrubias is a native of New Mexico and received a Master of Arts Degree in Special Education/Communication Disorders from New Mexico State University. Abel is the Founder and Chief Executive Officer of Aprendamos Intervention Team, an organization committed to providing quality services for families and children of all ages. The Aprendamos family of services include Aprendamos Intervention Team, Esperanza Children’s Therapy Clinic, Mariposa Autism Service Center, Alegria Family Counseling Clinic, Cariño Home Visiting Program, Community Based Child Abuse Prevention Program, and Conscious Fathering Program of Southern New Mexico.
Abel is actively involved in various boards, including Hearts for Autism, Las Cruces Catholic Schools, Health Advisory Council, US Bank Community Advisory Board and the Community Foundation of Southern New Mexico. He is a Paul Harris Fellow/Rotary Foundation of Rotary International and received the Community Foundation of Southern New Mexico Salúd Award for his significant and outstanding commitment to improving healthcare in Southern New Mexico. He was also awarded the 2017 Outstanding Healthcare Professional by the Hispanic Heritage Awards. Under Abel’s leadership, Aprendamos Intervention Team received the Greater Las Cruces Chamber of Commerce 2017 Large Business of the Year Award and the Las Cruces Hispanic Chamber of Commerce 2013 Business of the Year award. Abel recently completed the Leaders Across Borders Advanced Leadership Program through the U.S./Mexico Border Health Commission, and the ZERO TO THREE Fellowship Program.
Abel is a co-founder of Hearts for Autism, a 501 ©3, dedicated to supporting children and families with an autism spectrum disorder.
Abel is passionate about philanthropy and has completed mission trips to Ecuador and Nicaragua. He enjoys running half marathons and spending time with his wife, Monica, and their three amazing daughters.
- Las Cruces Catholic Schools, Board Member
- Hearts for Autism 501©(3), Co-Founder/Advisor
- Community Foundation of Southern New Mexico, Board Member and President
- US Bank, Community Advisory Committee, Board Member
- Maternal Child Health Council
- Ngage Success Partnership Leaders Circle
Recent Honors/Awards/Recognition/Books Published
- Jardin de los Niños Champion for Children Award Nomination, Business Person Serving Children, 2018
- Leaders Across Borders Advanced Leadership Program Award Recipient, 2018
- Greater Las Cruces Chamber of Commerce, Large Business of the Year, 2017
- Hispanic Heritage Awards, Outstanding Healthcare Professional, 2017
- Las Cruces Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, Business of the Year, 2013
- Paul Harris Fellow, The Rotary Foundation of Rotary International, June 2011
- Community Foundation of Southern New Mexico Salúd Award
- ZERO TO THREE Fellow, 2014-2016