Lauren A. Smith
Lauren A. Smith, MD, MPH, is Chief Health Equity and Strategy Officer of CDC Foundation. She is a current board member of ZERO TO THREE.
Contributions to the Field
Dr. Smith is a public health leader and senior pediatric clinician with more than 25 years experience in health care delivery and management, policy relevant research, and public health administration. As co-CEO of FSG, she oversees one of the world’s leading social impact consulting firms, helping to drive the vision and growth of the firm to advance its mission of achieving equitable social impact at scale. Dr. Smith has published extensively in the peer-reviewed literature on health equity and the implication of social policies on child and family wellbeing. She has also served on numerous national and state advisory committees focused on public health and health care. Since joining FSG in 2015 to oversee the firm’s U.S. health practice, Dr. Smith has led dozens of engagements with health foundations, health insurers, health systems, and health care companies, as well as multisector collaboration projects focused on infant mortality reduction and early childhood care and education. Dr Smith holds a B.A. with honors in biology from Harvard College, an M.D. from University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine, and an M.P.H. from University of California, Berkeley School of Public Health. She completed her pediatrics residency and chief residency at Children’s Hospital Boston and her general pediatrics fellowship at Boston Medical Center, Department of Pediatrics.
- Co-CEO, FSG
- Former Interim Commissioner and Medical Director, Massachusetts Department of Public Health
- Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies Partners in Health Award
- Massachusetts Perinatal Quality Collaborative Dedicated Service Award
- Public Health Leadership in Medicine Award, Massachusetts Public Health Association
- Excellence in Communication Achievement Award, Health Speak
- Carballo Award for Excellence in Public Service