Lia Dean is an Executive Committee member and Head of Bank Retail & Marketing for Capital One Financial Corporation. Ms. Dean is also a former Board Member of ZERO TO THREE.
Contributions to the Field
In her current role, Ms. Dean leads consumer marketing for Capital One’s Bank; and strategy, network management, customer experience, and day-to-day operations for Capital One’s more than 600 Capital One retail locations across the United States. Over the last several years, she oversaw the development, launch and expansion of Capital One Cafes to dozens of markets across the country. She joined Capital One in 2014 as head of Strategy for Capital One’s Retail and Direct Bank business.
Prior to joining Capital One, Ms. Dean was a Partner with McKinsey & Company, with a focus on consumer marketing and growth strategy. At McKinsey, she served C-level executives of Fortune 100 clients across financial services, telecom, media, and consumer tech; with extensive work in China, Korea and across Europe.
Earlier in her career, Ms. Dean served as part of the founding team, and in various sales and marketing leadership roles, at CashEdge, a fintech venture that was acquired by FiServ in 2011 for more than $400 million.
Ms. Dean serves on the Board of Trustees of the Greater Washington Community Foundation; and is a trustee of the Federal City Council. In addition, she is the Executive Sponsor of the Women’s Business Resource Group at Capital One.
Ms. Dean earned a Bachelor Arts from Yale University, and an MBA from the MIT Sloan School of Management, where she was a Siebel Scholar. She grew up on a farm in Maryland, and now resides in Washington, D.C.
Recent engagements include:
- Designing and launching a new set of segment-driven brands, products and service plans for a leading prepaid wireless provider
- Developing the product and partnership strategy, and global go-to-market plan in the tablet category for a leading global consumer electronics manufacturer
- Building a consultative selling capability, including designing organizational roles, incentives, a new sales engagement model, and skills development programs; in an enterprise tech sales force
- Re-designing and launching a comprehensive set of paradigm-changing pricing plans for a leading mobile operator
- Board of Trustees, Greater Washington Community Foundation
- Trustee, Federal City Council
- Executive Sponsor, Women’s Business Resource Group at Capital One
- Board and Executive Committee, Room to Grow, a New York- and Boston-based organization supporting babies born into poverty.