Jonah, Age 18 Months, Learning Literacy Skills
Watch to see how Jonah uses language as well as non-verbal communication methods to understand and participate in this activity with his mother, Claudine.
To Think About:
What are the different ways Jonah communicates his thoughts and feelings during this interaction?
How does Claudine respond to Jonah’s actions and words in ways that support his language development?
What the Experts Say About This Interaction
What Jonah does:
- Verbalizes the word bagel, showing his growing language skills.
- Uses his actions to effectively communicate when he takes the knife with cream cheese on it and points to the bagel, as if to say, Now I’ll do this half.
What Claudine does:
- Uses lots of language to “narrate” what Jonah is doing.
- Responds to Jonah’s words, sounds and gestures which lets him know he is a good communicator.
Think About How Your Child Is Learning These Skills
- How does your child communicate her thoughts and feelings?
- What are ways you encourage your child’s communication skills?
- Think of a recent interaction you had with your child.
- How did he or she let you know what he was thinking and feeling
- How did you respond? How do you think your response encouraged his or her language skills?
Read more about:
Watch Lupe and Guido looking at a book together. See how Guido shows he is interested in this book.
Watch to see how Rosanna helps Mia cope with her frustration at having her diaper changed. What do you see Mia doing to communicate her feelings? How does Rosanna help her daughter manage these int…
Watch to see how Jonah works at buttering his own bagel with some help and coaching from his mother, Claudine.