Jonah, Age 18 Months, Learning Literacy Skills
Watch to see how Jonah uses language as well as non-verbal communication methods to understand and participate in this activity with his mother, Claudine.
To Think About:
What are the different ways Jonah communicates his thoughts and feelings during this interaction?
How does Claudine respond to Jonah’s actions and words in ways that support his language development?
What the Experts Say About This Interaction
What Jonah does:
- Verbalizes the word bagel, showing his growing language skills.
- Uses his actions to effectively communicate when he takes the knife with cream cheese on it and points to the bagel, as if to say, Now I’ll do this half.
What Claudine does:
- Uses lots of language to “narrate” what Jonah is doing.
- Responds to Jonah’s words, sounds and gestures which lets him know he is a good communicator.
Think About How Your Child Is Learning These Skills
- How does your child communicate her thoughts and feelings?
- What are ways you encourage your child’s communication skills?
- Think of a recent interaction you had with your child.
- How did he or she let you know what he was thinking and feeling
- How did you respond? How do you think your response encouraged his or her language skills?
Read more about:
Watch to see how Marcelo is now able to understand that a photo in a book is a symbol for something in the "real world." What do you see Mary Luz doing to encourage Marcelo to take the lead in this …
Watch to see how Isaiah shows his desire to explore the new and fascinating object his mother is showing him. How does Idara make this possible?
Watch Mark and Gabby looking at a book together. See how Gabby shows she is interested in this book.