Jonah, Age 18 Months, Learning Literacy Skills
Watch to see how Jonah uses language as well as non-verbal communication methods to understand and participate in this activity with his mother, Claudine.
To Think About:
What are the different ways Jonah communicates his thoughts and feelings during this interaction?
How does Claudine respond to Jonah’s actions and words in ways that support his language development?
What the Experts Say About This Interaction
What Jonah does:
- Verbalizes the word bagel, showing his growing language skills.
- Uses his actions to effectively communicate when he takes the knife with cream cheese on it and points to the bagel, as if to say, Now I’ll do this half.
What Claudine does:
- Uses lots of language to “narrate” what Jonah is doing.
- Responds to Jonah’s words, sounds and gestures which lets him know he is a good communicator.
Think About How Your Child Is Learning These Skills
- How does your child communicate her thoughts and feelings?
- What are ways you encourage your child’s communication skills?
- Think of a recent interaction you had with your child.
- How did he or she let you know what he was thinking and feeling
- How did you respond? How do you think your response encouraged his or her language skills?
Read more about:
Watch Lupe and Guido looking at a book together. See how Guido shows he is interested in this book.
Watch to see how Gabby shows she is interested in the way this new toy works. How does her father, Mark, help her learn?
Watch to see how Lindsay focuses all her energy and attention on opening her fruit snack. Listen to how her mother, HyeSook, coaches her through this challenging task. (Though it may feel like fore…