Now is The Time
Our mission is more important than ever.
Millions of babies are at risk of carrying the pandemic’s devastating imprint throughout their lives.
We need your support now more than ever to ensure all babies have access to the quality care, services and support they need to thrive.Give Today
Lindsay, Age 23 Months, Learning Literacy Skills
Watch to see how Lindsay is learning how books work and how to share with her little brother.
To Think About:
- How is Lindsay interacting with the book?
- How do HyeSook and Matt encourage her to understand the book?
- How do HyeSook and Matt involve Brady in this reading activity?
- What might Lindsay be learning about early literacy in this video? Brady?
What the Experts Say About This Interaction
What Lindsay and Brady do:
- Brady tries to grab at the book to touch and explore it. Then he leans his whole body into the book to show his interest in it.
- Lindsay touches and manipulates the book in more complex ways than her brother—reaching out to turn pages, pull and place pieces in this soft-sided, interactive book.
- Lindsay shows that she understands that a picture stands for something real in the world when she says “meow” after her dad points at the picture of the cat and asks “What does kitty cat say?”
What HyeSook and Matt do:
- Mom offers to read the book “one more time”, helping Lindsay learn through repetition.
- Dad engages Lindsay actively in the reading by asking questions such as, “What does the kitty cat say?” This builds language and literacy skills.
- They find a book that Brady can explore so he can be more actively involved in the reading experience.
- They find ways for the kids to connect, such as asking Lindsay to show Brady where the moon is.
- Dad helps Brady be involved in reading by sitting him up so he can see and interact with the book.
Think About How Your Child Is Learning These Skills
- How does your child like to explore books? (For example, mouthing, pointing, turning pages, acting out the story.)
- How does she let you know what books she likes?
- What do you think she is learning from reading books?
- How do you help your child understand and love books?
Read more about:
Watch this video of mom Karen talking with her baby, Ellie. Notice how Karen and Ellie each play an active role in the “conversation”.
Watch to see how Haley copes with leaving her family child care setting. How does her mother, Lynette, help Haley manager her strong emotions and finally say good-bye for the day?
Watch to see how Guido learns to spin the rattle. How does Lupe “bridge” Guido’s skills to help him accomplish this goal?