Join thousands of colleagues from around the world this October.
Be connected, inspired, and prepared as we navigate change together.View Schedule & Register Today
Lindsay, Age 23 Months, Learning Literacy Skills
Watch to see how Lindsay is learning how books work and how to share with her little brother.
To Think About:
- How is Lindsay interacting with the book?
- How do HyeSook and Matt encourage her to understand the book?
- How do HyeSook and Matt involve Brady in this reading activity?
- What might Lindsay be learning about early literacy in this video? Brady?
What the Experts Say About This Interaction
What Lindsay and Brady do:
- Brady tries to grab at the book to touch and explore it. Then he leans his whole body into the book to show his interest in it.
- Lindsay touches and manipulates the book in more complex ways than her brother—reaching out to turn pages, pull and place pieces in this soft-sided, interactive book.
- Lindsay shows that she understands that a picture stands for something real in the world when she says “meow” after her dad points at the picture of the cat and asks “What does kitty cat say?”
What HyeSook and Matt do:
- Mom offers to read the book “one more time”, helping Lindsay learn through repetition.
- Dad engages Lindsay actively in the reading by asking questions such as, “What does the kitty cat say?” This builds language and literacy skills.
- They find a book that Brady can explore so he can be more actively involved in the reading experience.
- They find ways for the kids to connect, such as asking Lindsay to show Brady where the moon is.
- Dad helps Brady be involved in reading by sitting him up so he can see and interact with the book.
Think About How Your Child Is Learning These Skills
- How does your child like to explore books? (For example, mouthing, pointing, turning pages, acting out the story.)
- How does she let you know what books she likes?
- What do you think she is learning from reading books?
- How do you help your child understand and love books?
Read more about:
Watch to see how Jonah uses language as well as non-verbal communication methods to understand and participate in this activity with his mother, Claudine.
Watch to see how Marcelo is now able to understand that a photo in a book is a symbol for something in the "real world." What do you see Mary Luz doing to encourage Marcelo to take the lead in this …
Watch to see how Haley conquers her fear of the jack-in-the-box with her mother, Lynette's, support.