Lindsay, Age 23 Months, Learning Self Confidence
Watch to see how Lindsay focuses all her energy and attention on opening her fruit snack. Listen to how her mother, HyeSook, coaches her through this challenging task. (Though it may feel like forever, it is interesting to note that this clip is just about a minute long.)
To Think About:
- What does Lindsay show she is thinking and feeling through her words and actions?
- What does HyeSook do to help Lindsay persist and finally master the challenge of opening this package?
- What might Lindsay be learning about herself in this interaction?
What the Experts Say About This Interaction
What Lindsay does:
- Works very persistently to get the wrapper off.
- Focuses her attention on the task and responds to her mother’s suggestions.
- Looks to her mother when she is frustrated, as if asking for support.
What HyeSook does:
- Holds back and does not open the fruit leather for Lindsay right away.
- Builds Lindsay’s confidence that she can do it on her own by starting her off with a small rip in the wrapper, and then encouraging her to do the rest.
- Asks Lindsay if she can help, rather than jumping in.
- Talks Lindsay through this task and demonstrates with her hands.
- Eventually helps Lindsay just enough so that she can successfully master the challenge.
- Uses language to encourage Lindsay by letting her know “Almost!” and “Keep trying!” Celebrates Lindsay’s success.
- NOTE: While it may have seemed like forever, it actually took only 70 seconds for Lindsay to open the fruit leather! Sometimes patience is the best strategy for helping your child learn a new skill.
Think About How Your Child Is Learning These Skills
Think about how your baby is developing self-confidence through her everyday interactions with you:
- How do you know when your child is feeling good about himself?
- What kinds of activities or interactions make him feel confident?
- What do you think makes him feel a lack of confidence? Why? What can you do to help him feel better able to tackle this challenge?
Read more about:
Watch to see how Haley conquers her fear of the jack-in-the-box with her mother, Lynette's, support.
Watch to see how Guido learns to spin the rattle. How does Lupe “bridge” Guido’s skills to help him accomplish this goal?
Watch to see how Rosanna helps Mia cope with her frustration at having her diaper changed. What do you see Mia doing to communicate her feelings? How does Rosanna help her daughter manage these int…