Strolling Thunder Is Back – and Virtual!
Do you know a family who wants to turn their Members of Congress into champions for babies?
Then we need your help! Interest forms are due on March 5.Learn More
PLAN Sheet: The Importance of Relationships to Early Language and Literacy Development
Explore how strong teacher-child relationships support overall development and motivate children’s learning.
|Brain research indicates that children clearly benefit from opportunities to develop close relationships with their caregivers.|
|Strong teacher-child relationships support overall development and motivate children’s learning.|
|Children are more likely to attain early language and literacy with teachers who are able to build close, responsive relationships.|
- Think back over your career, how did you form relationships with children and families?
- What messages about the importance of building trusting relationships with young children could you share as a mentor?
inking with the Caregiver
- Invite teachers to share the following with you:
- What they would like children to remember about their relationship with them?
- Listen for ways for teachers do the following:
- Develop relationships with each child and family.
- Demonstrate their ability to make children feel safe and secure.
cknowledge Strengths & Areas for Support
- Reflect back what you heard (content and feeling) and reach for clarity. Ask teachers what they would like to learn more about in building relationships with children and families.
- Highlight strengths. Observe aloud how you have seen teachers build trusting relationships with children and families.
- Reframe the teachers’ comments and concerns in ways that extend their understanding of the importance of early relationships.
- Brainstorm together ways teachers can build, enhance, maintain, and renew relationships with children and families.
- Identify resources that each of the following contributors might bring to the effort:
- You, as the mentor
- Colleagues or community
Article | Disponible en español