Everyday Fun With Technology and Engineering: Let’s Talk About STEM Video
Watch to see how an understanding of engineering and technology develops from birth to 5 years old.
Engineering and technology skill sets emerge as children explore:
- Solving the problems they encounter in their world (and making their own problems to solve!);
- Combining objects in new ways—stacking, lining up, nesting inside, and more;
- Testing how things work, like pressing buttons on the television remote;
- Changing part of a system, like the height of a ramp, and making predictions about what will happen; and
- Using information about what works and doesn’t work to improve their creations.
Download a handout with activities designed to support young children’s growing pattern awareness from birth to 5.