Lauren A. Smith, MD, MPH, is Chief Health Equity and Strategy Officer of CDC Foundation. She is a current board member of ZERO TO THREE.
Contributions to the Field
Dr. Smith is a public health leader and senior pediatric clinician with more than 25 years experience in health care delivery and management, public policy, and public health. As chief health equity and strategy officer, Dr. Smith partners with the CDC Foundation’s other senior leaders to develop and drive strategic efforts to embed health equity across the Foundation’s COVID-19 response activities with an explicit focus on addressing systemic racism and its impact on vulnerable populations’ resiliency amidst the pandemic. In addition, she leads activities to build organizational capacity to integrate health equity into the Foundation’s practice, process, action, innovation, and organizational performance to elevate the importance of and deepen the Foundation’s health equity impact.
Dr. Smith joins the Foundation from FSG, one of the world’s leading social impact consulting firms, where she served as co-CEO and led the firm’s U.S. health practice. At FSG, she helped drive the vision and growth of the firm to advance its mission of achieving lasting and equitable social impact. In this role, she partnered with community, social sector, public sector, health care, public health and philanthropy leaders, including in place-based collaborations.
Dr. Smith holds a BA with honors in biology from Harvard College, an MD from University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine, and an MPH from University of California, Berkeley School of Public Health. She completed her pediatrics residency and chief residency at Children’s Hospital Boston and her general pediatrics fellowship at Boston Medical Center, Department of Pediatrics.
- Board Member, Blue Cross Blue Shield Massachusetts
- Board Member, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston
- Board Member, Health Law Advocates
- Former Co-CEO, FSG
- Former Interim Commissioner and Medical Director, Massachusetts Department of Public Health
- Former National Medical Director, Medical Legal Partnership for Children
- Former Medical Director, Pediatric Inpatient Service at Boston Medical Center
- Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies Partners in Health Award
- Massachusetts Perinatal Quality Collaborative Dedicated Service Award
- Public Health Leadership in Medicine Award, Massachusetts Public Health Association
- Excellence in Communication Achievement Award, Health Speak
- Carballo Award for Excellence in Public Service
- WT Grant Health Policy Fellow, Massachusetts Speaker of the House