Everyday Fun With Patterns: Let’s Talk About Math Video
Watch to see how an understanding of patterns develops from birth to 5 years old.
Pattern awareness emerges as children explore:
- Daily patterns like a familiar bedtime routine or the predictable green, yellow, red of a traffic light
- Matching and sorting objects by shape, size or color
- Creating their own patterns using toys or materials they find in the world in around them
- Describing the patterns they see and create
- Knowing what comes next in a pattern—placing a blue block on a red-blue-red-blue-red stack
Download a handout with fun activities designed to support young children’s growing pattern awareness from birth to 5 years old below.
More Available In Our Bookstore!
The Special Edition of the Magic of Everyday Moments now includes STEM videos. Purchase the full-set on DVD or as a digital download in our bookstore.
Would you like to use this video in your work? Learn more about our video permissions and to make a request.