Five Senses Exercise
A Mindfulness Practice for Families
Engaging our senses helps us focus on the present moment.
Notice how you and your child are feeling as you begin. Then, together with your child:
- Notice five things that you can see. Look around you. Notice and name five things that you can see.
- Notice four things that you can feel. Tune in to your sense of touch. Notice and describe the texture of four things you can touch.
- Notice three things you can hear. Listen carefully. Notice and name three sounds you hear in your environment.
- Notice two things you can smell. Notice and name two smells you recognize.
- Notice one thing you can taste. Focus and name one thing that you can taste right now. You can take a sip or bite of something, or simply notice the current taste in your mouth.
How are you and/or your child feeling now? Do you feel more connected to your surroundings and the present moment?
Ready for more mindfulness activities?