Made possible with generous funding from MetLife Foundation
Grandparents—whether living near or far—enjoy a special relationship with their grandchildren. Grandparents are the ones who are often willing to read the same story over and over, play a silly game, or say “who’s there” to a knock-knock joke more times than they can count.
These resources, funded by MetLife Foundation, were developed to support grandparents in whatever role they play in the life of their young grandchildren. While many grandparents provide occasional care for their little ones, more and more grandparents are serving as the primary caregiver for their young grandchildren. According to AARP (www.aarp.org/grandparents), more than 5.8 million children across the United States are living in their grandparents’ homes—and more than 2.5 million grandparents have taken on the responsibility for raising these children.
ZERO TO THREE’s grandparenting resources include information on supporting healthy child development as well as tools for addressing some of the more common challenging situations that come up when raising young children. Take a look:
- Your Child’s Development from Birth to Three
- Watching and Wondering: How to Identify Challenges in Your Grandchild’s Development
Sharing the Care With Your Adult Child
- Sharing the Caring: Partnering With Your Adult Child to Care for Your Grandchild
- Talking It Out: A Tool for Establishing Good Communication Between Parents and Grandparents
Building a Strong Relationship With Your Grandchild
- Play With Me!: Fun Activities that Support Early Learning
- That Was Then: Sharing Family Traditions With Your Grandchildren
- Rock-a-bye Right: Safe Sleep Recommendations for Babies and Toddlers
Coping with Challenges
- When the Answer is No: Setting Limits With Love for Toddlers
- Here for You Always: Supporting Your Grandchild Through a Divorce of Separation
- A Big Impact on Little Kids: Understanding How Traumatic Experiences Affect Very Young Children
- Understanding Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: How Alcohol Use During Pregnancy Impacts Young Children
Give us some feedback on the grandparenting resources above! Click here to share your thoughts in a brief survey. A hard copy of the grandparenting materials will be mailed to all respondents who complete the survey.
Generously funded by MetLife Foundation