Promoting Positive Parenting: What Is it? What Are the Benefits?
Rebecca Parlakian, MA, Ed., Senior Director of Programs at ZERO TO THREE
Podcast: Listen on-the-go!
Note: You can download for later use on your computer and on your mobile device. Download this episode on your computer On mobile, download the Podbean app and subscribe to the “ZERO TO THREE Member Podcasts” channel. Then select the episode you’d like to download.
This webinar explored the nine components of ZERO TO THREE’s positive parenting approach, and how positive parenting builds strong parent-child relationships and nurtures children’s development over the long-term.
- Imagine your child’s point of view, especially during tough moments.
- Notice and celebrate your child’s strengths, abilities, and capacity to learn and develop.
- Delight in moments of connection with your child.
- Respond with interest and sensitivity to your child’s cues.
- Provide consistent, age-based guidelines, limits, and boundaries.
- Recognize and regulate your own feelings and behaviors before responding to your child.
- Know that parenting can be stressful and missteps are part of raising a child.
- Work toward balancing your needs and your child’s needs.
- Seek help, support, or additional information on parenting when you need it.
About ZERO TO THREE Virtual Events
FREE for ZERO TO THREE members, our virtual events are developed and presented by our expert staff and affiliates. After each event, non-member registrants will receive a link to a recording that will be available for 30 days. View all archived recordings.
What More Has Been Learned? The Science of Early Childhood Development 15 Years After From Neurons to Neighborhoods