Infant and Toddler Development, Screening, and Assessment
This module provides child care consultants with information about screening and assessment of infants and toddlers.
Upon completion of this module, child care consultants will be able to:
- Describe factors that affect infant/toddler development and identify resources for reference on developmental milestones.
- Discuss how the integrated nature of infant/toddler development affects overall growth and development.
- Describe their state’s professional development system supports for infant/toddler caregivers and how they can be accessed.
- Define the difference between observation, screening, and ongoing assessment and the key components of each process.
- Discuss the importance of coordinating referrals with the family and other care providers, such as medical and dental homes, therapists, and additional child care providers.
- Identify key aspects of the state Part C/Early Intervention system for infants and toddlers with disabilities.
- Discuss the importance of involving families in the process of observation, screening, and assessment.
Infant/Toddler Development, Screening, and Assessment is one of three infant/toddler modules created to support consultants working in child care settings, especially those who have not had education or training specific to infants and toddlers in group care. These modules were designed to complement training offered to early childhood consultants through the National Training Institute at the Department of Maternal and Child Health, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
This paper provides a framework and practical suggestions for coordinating and educating child care consultants from multiple disciplines to improve consultants’ efficiency.
This brief provides practical partnership and collaboration strategies for early care and education and child welfare systems to meet the needs of and best serve families with infants and toddlers wh…
This factsheet provides background on Infant/Toddler Specialist Networks, a strategy that states and territories have implemented to improve the quality of child care and support healthy development …