Activity 20: Matching patterns
Egg carton or ice cube tray and cotton balls, checkers, or game pieces for sorting
Try It Out:
- Set the carton between you and your child so that you each have a row of empty egg carton cups in front of you.
- Say, “Watch me make a pattern in my row.” Place 1 cotton ball in the first cup, 2 cotton balls in the second cup, and 1 cotton ball in the third cup, to make a 1-2-1 pattern. Count out loud as you place them.
- Say, “Now, it’s your turn to play. Can you put 1 cotton ball in your cup? Let’s count: 1.” Then say, “Can you put 2 cotton balls in this cup? Let’s count them: 1, 2. Now put 1 cotton ball in this cup Let’s count: 1.”
- Say, “Look, your cups match my cups.” Point to each cup and then your child’s matching cup, 1 at a time, counting as you go.
Making the Most of This Activity:
- Change the pattern in your row (for example to 1-3-2) or make a longer pattern (1-2-1-3-2-1) and see if your child can make her row match yours.
- Bring the egg carton on an outing and try creating groups of 1 and 2 at the park with small rocks or sticks.
Was your child able to match groups of 1 and 2? If not, she may not be quite ready for this activity and you can try again later.