Activity 1: Recognizing sets of one and two
2 plates and 3 child-safe objects, such as crackers, spoons, or blocks
Try It Out:
- Place 1 cracker on 1 plate and 2 crackers on another.
- Point to each plate and say: “This plate has 1 cracker.” “This plate has 2 crackers.”
- Say: “Point to the plate with 1 cracker.”
- If your child points to the correct plate, say: “That’s right. This plate has 1 cracker.”
- If your child points to the wrong plate, say: “No, that plate has 2 crackers. Here is the plate with 1 cracker.”
- Ask your child to point to the plate with 1 cracker and then to the plate with 2 crackers.
Making the Most of This Activity:
- Try this activity using different objects. You can use any child-safe objects—blocks, spoons, crayons—when playing the game.
- Try it at different times of the day (during baths or meals, or while dressing). While getting dressed, you can point out 1 shirt and 2 socks. At bath time, you can point out 1 washcloth and 2 bath toys.
Did your child correctly point to sets of 1 and 2? If not, she may not be quite ready for this activity and you can try again later.