ZERO TO THREE Critical Competencies for Infant-Toddler Educators™
The ZERO TO THREE Critical Competencies for Infant-Toddler Educators™ suite of professional development products and services helps educators build the essential knowledge and skills they need, in flexible and user-friendly formats.
In this resource
Infant-toddler educators have one of the most important jobs in the world, but they often lack the practical resources to support them. The ZERO TO THREE Critical Competencies for Infant-Toddler Educators™ competency model defines the specific knowledge and practices required for infant-toddler educators to be successful now, to support the future of our children.
ZERO TO THREE’S Critical Competencies for Infant-Toddler Educators™ Courses are now available ONLINE. Visit the Learning Center to find out more.
Buy the ZERO TO THREE Critical Competencies for Infant-Toddler Educators™ eBook
Available exclusively in the ZERO TO THREE bookstore.
The Critical Competencies:
- Describe the recommended teaching methods and practices with easily understood guidance and examples
- Feature considerations for working with high-needs populations and multi-language learners
- Support educators who work in group settings (center-based and family child care homes) with infants, toddlers, or both
- Build on professional criteria for the early childhood field
The Critical Competencies address three essential learning and development areas, depicted in the graphic below.
Suite of Products and Services
The ZERO TO THREE Critical Competencies for Infant-Toddler Educators™ suite of products and services builds essential knowledge and skills educators need to be effective. Available for purchase individually or as a package, the suite includes:
Critical Competencies Model eBook: The eBook defines the professional criteria and explains how educators can make the most of teacher-child interactions to support infants’ and toddlers’ social-emotional, cognitive, and language and literacy development. Purchase now.
Reflection Tool: This online tool uses the Critical Competencies to help infant-toddler educators examine areas of strength and opportunities for improving their daily interactions with children. Customized, aggregate reporting and consultation helps organizations make data-driven professional development decisions. Tell us how we can help.
Technical Assistance: ZERO TO THREE’s experts use the Critical Competencies as a framework to help organizations and agencies meet their infant-toddler workforce goals. A range of services are available, including presentations; analysis and recommendations; and support for leadership, coaching, and training skills. Contact us now.
Professional Development: Explore all our Critical Competencies Professional Development options through the Learning Center, with a variety of options for group contracts, individual educators, professional development providers, higher education faculty, and more.
- Online learning
- In-person learning experiences
- Regional Professional Development Institutes for trainers, coaches, and/or faculty.
- Onsite at your location for educators
- Training-of-Trainers course: Onsite, customized training-of-trainers builds your capacity to support infant-toddler educators, with an option to become a ZERO TO THREE Certified Trainer: Critical Competencies.
- Hybrid learning options
- Community of Practice facilitators training
- Reflective follow-up events
- ZERO TO THREE Expert Faculty virtual office hours
Continuing Education Units are available for all ZERO TO THREE training programs.
Browse the Learning Center
Explore the wide range of professional development options we offer to the early childhood community.
Find Out More
Learn how the *ZERO TO THREE Critical Competencies for Infant-Toddler Educators™* can support your professional development goals.
Director of Resource Management, Development, and Dissemination
National Center for Early Childhood Development, Teaching, and Learning
Senior Director, Professional Development and Workforce Innovations
Former Co-Director, Transcultural Innovation