Families Speak Out at Strolling Thunder
It's time for babies to be a national priority.
Social media feeds are filled with parents detailing their day-to-day challenges. Why? Because they need to be heard. They need comradery. They need change.
That’s what our Strolling Thunder™ event is all about. We’re excited to be back in person this June with families across the country to share stories like these and tell Congress it’s time to #ThinkBabies.
Putting Parents in Touch with Congress Since 2017
Members of Congress have heard firsthand stories from parents across the country during our annual Strolling Thunder event — both in person and virtually during the pandemic.
A mother from Maine who was forced to fall behind on bills due to a lack of paid leave after a difficult birth. A family from Kentucky who lost their home during the COVID-19 pandemic, stretching their finances and making child care unaffordable. A father from Louisiana who was laid off without access to unemployment benefits, struggling to care for seven children at home. A single mother from Massachusetts who struggles to raise her child on a teacher’s salary.
The event is a cornerstone of our Think Babies campaign, a national movement and a call to action for policymakers to prioritize the needs of infants, toddlers, and their families and to invest in our nation’s future. Federal priorities include:
- Increasing access to high-quality, affordable child care;
- Creating a national paid family and medical leave program;
- Increasing investments in Early Head Start so that more families living in poverty can benefit from the program’s comprehensive services;
- Increasing support for infant and early childhood mental health services;
- Providing support to transform the child welfare system; and
- Making the expanded Child Tax Credit permanent to increase families’ economic security.
Families need affordable, quality child care.
Families need paid leave.
Families need economic security and mental health support.
Do these stories seem familiar?
Represent your state at the next Strolling Thunder! Sign up for updates from our Think Babies advocacy team.