A Mindfulness Practice for Families
In this practice, use deep breathing and movement together to calm your mind and body. Show how to do it and have your child copy you.
- You can sit or stand up.
- Place both hands on top of your head.
- Begin to breathe in and out slowly. As you inhale, raise your arms above your head, like you are blowing up a balloon. When your lungs are full of air, your arms should look like a big, round balloon on top of your head.
- As you exhale, slowly bring your hands toward your head. Do your best to match the timing of your inhale with raising your arms up and the timing of your exhale with bringing your arms back down.
- Try to deepen your breath with each inhale as you’re able.
- Continue with this breath and arm movement 2-4 more times.
- On the last breath, press your lips together and blow the air out, making a silly sound like a horse.