Activity 17: Counting objects
Pieces of food, such as apple slices
Try It Out:
When you are putting food on your child’s plate, count the pieces out loud. For example: “1, 2 apple slices for you to eat.”
- If she repeats your counting words, say it again: “Yes, that’s right. 1, 2 apple slices!”
- If your child wants more, ask: “Do you want 1 or 2 apple slices?” After she chooses, count out the slices as you put them on her plate.
- Try prompting her by saying, “Can you count the apple slices? 1, 2, 3!”
Making the Most of this Activity:
- Try this activity a few times during each meal.
- Try counting objects during other daily routines such as bath time or bedtime.
Is your child able to count 1, 2, or 3 items? If your child can count sets of 2, show him how to count sets of 3. If he is able to count sets of 3, count groups of 4 or 5. Say, “You are learning how to count!”